Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The Lord Gave Us A Casket For Christmas


  Two weeks ago today, my son, Titus, died on our bed.

  He was two days away from being six months old.  It was not the beginning to December I was anticipating.

  We're still waiting for the official cause of death to be revealed to us.  There was no prior illness.  His doctor's appointment that morning had resulted in a good bill of health.  The anatomical autopsy revealed nothing.  As it stands, the smart money is on the catch-all diagnosis of the un-explainable, known as SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).  In other words, no one will likely know the reason why, when my wife went to wake our son from his daily afternoon nap, he was not breathing and had no pulse.

  My desperate attempts to resuscitate him proved futile; so did the doctors'.  There was no sign of life whatsoever.  His official time of death was recorded as 9:41 P.M. as far as I know, but in reality, he was long gone by the time they rolled him into the Niagara Falls hospital for one last-ditch attempt.

  He was gone by the time my wife found him.  He was likely gone while we were downstairs in our dining room, singing Psalms and reading from our 1689 Baptist confessions about the relationship of God to His creatures, discussing the fact that God is not dependent on us for anything, and that He has the right to demand of us creatures whatsoever pleases Him in whatever manner He wills.  He could very well have been gone when we prayed over our supper, thanking God for His good gifts, and asking that all that He gives us would be, "turned back to Him in praise and thanksgiving," as is my usual prayer for mealtimes.

  God, as it turns out, is not a boring playwright, nor is He limited by our sensibilities.  "That's too on-the-nose" is apparently a criticism to which our Lord is immune.  He's certainly not opposed to tug-on-your-heartstrings Hallmark Christmas movies; He just seems to prefer writing better, more dramatic, and even more unbelievable ones.

  Exactly three weeks to Christmas Day, God decreed to take my home and flip it upside-down.  Twelve days before Christmas, we lowered my son's casket into the cold, hard, December ground.

  And I've never been looking forward to Christmas more in my entire life.

  No, seriously.  Never.

  Not when I was six, and the stocking was stuffed with treats, and the tree was surrounded by boxes with mystery toys that delighted my juvenile imagination.  Not when I was a teenager and knew that I was likely going to get the guitar I had asked for.  Not even last Christmas, when my daughter was finally old enough to begin being really EEEEXXXXCITEDDDD!!! for Christmas.

  No.  Now, I can't wait.  Now, I finally get it.  Now it doesn't matter how many presents are or aren't under the tree, nor does it matter how excited my kids do or don't get to claw open their presents Christmas morning.

  Now, I finally know what it looks like to have your soul ripped open and laid bare; I know what it feels like to have every arrogant pretense of tomorrow's plans and every foolhardy boast of yesterday's accomplishments smashed to pieces, with fragmented shards hanging from every side of your broken heart; and I know what it feels like to have nothing to hold on to but the goodness, mercy, and sovereignty of God, and to cling to it for dear life until you finally feel the hurricane begin to subside.

  I know now what it's like to be gifted with "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding".  I know now what it actually means to believe that "all things work together for good, to those who are called according to His purpose".   I know what it means to find true, sustaining hope in the future of the resurrection, and I was blessed with the strength and the opportunity to preach these truths, and the hope they contain, over the casket carrying my son's body at his funeral.

  The road to resurrection began with the incarnation.  On December 25th, we celebrate the beginning of that incarnation.

  This Christmas, someone will be missing as we gather as a family and open presents.  There will be tears and heartache as we gather as a family to sing songs, and gather around the table.  There are two precious "1st Christmas" outfits in a drawer that will sit in solemn silence, their former owner's body laying in a grave on the outskirts of Fort Erie.  Titus will be on our hearts and our minds as we think of the Christmas we thought we were going to have.

  But while our hearts will be heavy, we are not without hope and a comfort.

  This Christmas, I understand why the incarnation matters.  I understand what it means.  I understand the hope it communicates to my family as we ache and grieve for our son who is no longer here.

  The Lord truly does write spectacular stories, and He delights in using unexpected means.  His stories involve real tragedy and loss; their plots hang on true mercy and redemption.  And so it goes that as God strikes down, so He builds up.  God took away one of the greatest gifts He had given us, and did so right before Christmas.  And for the first time in my life, I actually understand, and so I will sing, wrap gifts, and wait with a resurrected anticipation.

  Grace.  Mercy.  Peace.  Hope.

  All because the Lord gave us a casket for Christmas.

36 comments:

  1. Praying that the peace that surpasses all understanding continues to carry you through this incredibly difficult season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.. I don't think I breathed when ready that. Thank you so much for sharing and I'm just so sorry for the loss and pain. There are just no words. Your witness of the love and care of God during this nightmare is unbelievable. If you and your wife haven't been recommended it yet Nancy Guthrie has written a book on loss. it's probably too soon and we as a family will be praying for you. Much love in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh..!what you wrote is such a blessing to all who would read it.It needs so much strength to write all of this at such a difficult moment and I thank God that He has filled you with His peace and strength.Praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is breaking for you and your family. Our son, David John also fell asleep in Jesus as a result of "SIDS" when we lived in Fort Erie. So many years ago, yet reading your story brought tears of empathy. Thank you for using this most difficult opportunity to bless and encourage others, reminding all that we, as believers have an anchor that holds us through the storms of life. If you need to talk, my husband and I would be happy to connect with you. If your wife needs to just share....please contact me. So thankful that your "anchor holds though the ship's been battered."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grief Share ministry is a 13 week program that is Bible based. It will help you through this grueling journey. Griefshare.org
    Thank you for such a wonderfully written piece. God reveals Himself the most during our most heartbreaking moments.
    Praying for all of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,[a] for those who are called according to his purpose. -Romans 8:28 <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so sorry for your loss, may God bless you , and comfort you as only he can. This will be your son's first Christmas with Jesus , the reason for the season !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for your loss! ❤️

    Please know that nothing you did or didn’t do (including vaccines) caused this. Please do not feel guilty!

    I am praying for your precious family. Thank you for sharing this testimony to the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I too lost my brother when he was very young. It breaks my heart whenever I read an account such as yours. It also breaks my heart to read, "God took away one of the greatest gifts He had given us, and did so right before Christmas." Please know that it is the devil who "steals, kills, and destroys" not God. God loves your little one and loves you. Our God is a good Father and your son's death pains Him too (Mark 10:18). I'm not telling you this to cause any sort of friction, but to bring you comfort. God calls us to raise the dead and heal the sick, not because He struck them down (Matt 12:22-29). "May our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who has loved us and given us eternal comfort and good hope by grace, comfort and strengthen your heart." 2 Ths 2:16

    ReplyDelete
  10. See Im Suffering, Please Help Me: Learning to Care for the Alone and Hurting by Crystal Barbier on Amazon.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. God be praised. My Dad and Mom lost three before adulthood, the third due to an sledding accident Christmas night. Three things from them to you (they're now in the presence of the Lord): first, they said it always seemed that the death of one of their children was harder for their friends and loved ones than for them (because of God's comfort); second, that children are only on loan from the Lord, and He can take them back to Himself any time He wants; and third, that they were never as sure of God's love as when they turned and walked away from the fresh grave of one of their children. Your work in this blog post is very helpful to all of us. Not knowing you, we love you. If you understand my use of the word, merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Naykalyk Family
    We are all lifting you r family up to the Lord. May you feel His presence and His love. Thank you for sharing your hope in Jesus to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don’t know you but read this through the link on Tim Challies website. I don’t have great advice or experiences to share. I only pray that God gives you His comfort and peace as you deal with this tragedy. May you find your strength and grace in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. -12/12/2010-

    Naturally our first questions pointed heavenward because circumstances were proving that life is ultimately out of our control. The mechanics of this world were marching on and we could not get out from underneath its death march.

    We could never have known how difficult it would be to purchase funeral clothes for our children while others were filling their carts with gifts. It was quite the revelation and we were made acutely aware of just how precious life is.

    These emotions of helplessness and distress were brought to the fore and we wrestled not with the basics of our Christian faith (2 Ti 2:19), but with our humanity. It hurt, deeply (Jn 11:33-36)...

    Looking north-east from our front porch and within walking distance sits the cemetery where Mattias' is buried. One may assume this to be a continual stoking of our pain and suffering, but it is not (1 Co 15:55). When we look across the field at the tree line we realize that is where our son's physical body is laid. From the same porch looking up to the heavens we acknowledge that our son now lives (2 Sa 12:23) with the living Savior of the world (Luke 16:19-31).

    Jesus Christ alone gives humanity this hope!

    ~ Where Joy and Sorrow Meet: God's Comfort in Times of Trial, A families journey through grief, loneliness and loss, p 3, 22-23

    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/642122

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading something such as you wrote, on the heels of such a life-altering event as losing your baby son, I bow my head in reverence for what God is teaching you about Himself and how you are receiving it. God wastes nothing, including loss and pain, and I pray you and your wife continue to hide in God as you walk this path of sorrow onward to life eternal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so very sorry for you and your wife and daughter for the loss of your precious baby son and little brother Titus. Your words are powerful and great encouragement for hurting parents. My son passed away last year and it has been a most arduous journey. One thing I learned quickly is face your pain and loss head on. Listen to your grief and feel it. Let it out of your body and Cling to our Father. This is where we truly meet our Lord in our deepest valley. He knows our pain and suffering. Loss is a world so alien to us, after loss you literally begin a new life in a new world. Your Love for Titus continues, love never dies. Peace and Love to you and your family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying for you and your family now.

    “He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds.
    Great is our Lord and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite.”
    ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭147:3, 5‬ ‭

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beautiful words, Eric, in the face of tremendous tragedy. I will be praying for you and your precious family over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am in awe of how you are so strong in the Lord with this devastating loss of your little baby boy. Praying that you all with continue to stay strong in your faith and in the knowledge that Titus is in the arms of our Savior - the only better place to be then in the arms of his parents. We have a living sure Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  21. In the cold Christmas December of my life when I buried the joy of my life, these words in the hymn, "Whatever my Lord ordains is right" sustained me in the midst of my confusion, indescribable pain, and bewilderment. They were the strong stepping stones to God's heart. Had I no belief that my beloved's death was God's sovereign will, then I had no assurance that He would and could heal my broken heart. It is an awesome thing to be chosen in this "furnace of affliction" (Is.48:10). I hope that this word "comes as a soft shower,assuaging the fury of the flame" (Charles Sourgeon). It is our Wounded Healer Who meets you in your deeper than deep sorrow and says, "Fear not, I am with thee." (Is. 43:5).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your unwavering faith is a testimony to everyone who reads your heart wrenching story and has really ministered to me. I pray that you will continue to be lifted up by the strength of our Almighty Father and receive His peace that surpasses all understanding. I just suffered a second miscarriage in a row on December 3 this year. It’s is devastating. The Lord reminds me of the lyrics in a beautiful hymn “whatever my lot Thou has taught me to say it is well with my soul”. It helps to comfort me in my time of grief. I wish I could give you all a big hug!! But know that you are loved and being lifted up in prayer!! May God comfort you all, strengthen and bless you❤️

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story and your living hope with us. I am sorry about your loss of your dear son. Bless you and your family and may God comfort you during the hard time.
    Sincerely,
    Patting Poulsen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Our grandson, Matthew Gallegos age 18 went home to be with his & our Lord on Christmas morning 1:30 a.m. Dec. 25, 2016. (Due to aneurysm)).
    Earlier in the year in April our son Bryan Alonso was called home at age 22 yrs. On his way to bed; instant heart attack due to an enlarged heart unbe-known to us. So many memories left. The loss never leaves us. We look to Jesus for strength and the hope to see them again knowing they are at rest with him

    ReplyDelete
  25. I remember how emotionally hellish it was when, as a non believer, I buried my firstborn son and a few years later, my third-born child (my daughter). Reflecting on it, several decades later, I still feel some pain. However, as the author of this has discovered, I now look forward to seeing them again in the resurrection.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I praise God that He has given you peace that surpasses all understanding. But please hear me out, respectfully. God didn’t give you a casket. The fallen world did. Jesus is the will of God revealed!!! Jesus didn’t come to kill. He came to heal, deliver, and restore. It was not His will to allow your baby to die. That is the devil that seeks to kill and destroy. God’s will is LIFE. Kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven. If Jesus is the will of God revealed than we must look at Jesus and his life here. What he did, what he spoke, what he taught. God bless you and your family. I am so sorry this happened to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  27. On December 3rd, my wife and I lost our only son to SIDS at 15 weeks old. Our lives are forever changed. We thank God for the time we had with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have a son who went to be with the LORD many years ago....never forget your precious boy. Share you grief, share your story... We have a restoring God even if it seems difficult to see through the current fog. The Lord's coming is so close. The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18 Nancy

      Delete
  28. My prayers are for your loss, while knowing the Lord our God has a plan for every thing we endure in this world. You knew your son only for a little while in this world, but now Titus is learning the laws and precepts in the presence of the Teacher. I pray the tears that fall will Bless you...and your words Blessed my aching heart...thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so so sorry for your loss. There are no words to help and I see that you are handling it perfectly by allowing God to teach you and work in this grievous time. I don't mean to pry at all but when you mentioned his death happening the same day as a Doctor visit I can't help but wonder if the cause could be due to vaccines (if he had any)? It's not something that would necessarily be revealed as probable cause but I know many who have lost their little ones with no doubt that the cause of death was from being vaccinated that day or within days of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is beautiful. Our little girl died on May 6th nutd 13 days before her 11th birthday. While the suffering is intense and not a path I would have chosen the hope that we are filled with is beautiful. All I can see in front of me is Heaven. I will be praying for you and your family as you walk this path. It is one riddled with agony just like the path our Lord Jesus walked. But Hope exists and His name is Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  31. My heart is aching for you and your wife. I’m sorry for your loss. I feel as if I was led here from FB to offer my prayers, as well as ask you something that is not intended to cause an argument as it is a touchy subject. I truly mean no harm. You mention a good report of health at the doctor’s appt., and I wondered if your son received any vaccinations at the appointment? If so, I just ask you to look at the documentation that goes with the vaccinations. Just in case there is a relationship. I was a friend to someone who died mysteriously after a new med was introduced (which had serious adverse effects), and I’ve been cautious about everything medical since. I am not an anti-vax person. Just a mom, and my kids are vaccinated. I do not mean to upset you or your commenters. My prayers will continue for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Mr & Mrs Eric Naykalyk...
    The Lord gave you a casket to bury your son. You have turned it into a glorious chariot to send Titus on his victorious homecoming to meet his Lord Jesus himself! May the comfort, love, peace, joy of God continue to abide with you and the whole family. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear Mr & Mrs Naykalyk,
    I have thought about this blog post often over the past year. I wonder how you are doing. Thank you for posting this, I printed it out and shared with our church last year, it is very moving. I hope you are all well and I hope you post an update.
    Nahum 1:7

    ReplyDelete